The causes of plagiocephaly can be several. In this article we explain it to you. Plagiocephaly is a word that comes from the Greek and means oblique head, a child’s head that is asymmetrical or flattened.
Plagiocephaly is a very common cranial deformity in babies, the skull takes a unique diamond shape. You can also see the eye on the same side more open and the ear more advanced.
An x-ray of the head is sometimes needed to exclude other more serious causes of skull deformity, for example craniosynostosis, which may require surgical treatment.
The problem of Plagiocephaly ranges between 5% and 48% of newborns. One cause may be compressive forces against the soft bones of the baby’s head before birth, such as in twins, or as a result of early descent into the pelvis. During the birth process, excessive forces can also cause skull deformation.
Read on to find out the causes of plagiocephaly.
The causes of plagiocephaly
- Position in the uterus. Sometimes the position in which a baby is lying in the womb can cause plagiocephaly.
- Torticollis. Torticollis is a condition in which the baby prefers to look in one direction rather than another. The baby will look in that direction, and will also sleep with his head facing in the favored direction.
- Since it is recommended that babies sleep on their backs, cases of sudden death in babies have decreased, but on the other hand, the risks of plagiocephaly due to posture have increased.
Can plagiocephaly be prevented?
The answer is yes. There are factors to reduce plagiocephaly and we explain them below.
- When your child is sleeping, it is recommended that they continue to sleep on their back even with plagiocephaly. Although it is good that at times you also place it on its side and alternate between left and right. In this way the head will gradually adapt.
- The more time the baby is out of the stroller or hammock, while he is awake, the better. This way you will control every movement of the baby and avoid bad postures for the baby.
- If the baby suffers from torticollis, take him to a physiotherapist as soon as possible, this way you will prevent your baby from always lying on the same side.
- Up to 4 months of age, repositioning (sleeping on the side) can help in the treatment of cranial deformities.
- From the age of 4 months, the use of a DOC Band® orthopedic helmet is the most effective solution.
We hope you have understood the causes of Plagiocephaly, if you want to know more we invite you to read the article on the causes of Plagiocephaly. consequences of Plagiocephaly . For more information you can contact contact with us without obligation.
What is the Plagiocephaly helmet?
If your baby’s Plagiocephaly is very pronounced, ideally you should wear a brace to fix the flat spot. Therapy varies depending on the severity of the baby’s flat spot. It can be used for several months according to the doctor’s recommendations. This helmet is unique and exclusive for each baby as it is custom-made. positive hoof results can be obtained up to one year of age.
At the first visit, you’ll learn about the seriousness of your baby’s plagiocephaly and the recommended treatment plan. As the baby’s head grows, the helmet will need to fit. The baby should wear the helmet for the maximum possible hours recommended by the doctor. Remember that you will get faster results if you strictly follow the doctor’s instructions.
With the use of the dynamic orthopedic helmet DOC Band® the treatment of plagiocephaly is easy, safe and comfortable for your child.
The DOC Band® orthopedic helmet has enabled the recovery of more than 300,000 babies worldwide. See the results .
Treatment of plagiocephaly
If your baby is between 4 and 18 months old, the best treatment for plagiocephaly is a dynamic head band (cranial orthosis).
The treatment consists of using a custom-made orthopedic helmet to take advantage of the growth of the head and thus correct the deformity.
- the hull exerts a restraint on prominent areas
- so that the head grows through the unrestrained parts free of restraint
The treatment requires a series of regular visits to the specialist, who will make modifications to the helmet, depending on the growth of the skull.
This treatment is possible thanks to the fact that the fontanelles are more or less open during the first 2 years of life fontanelles of the skull are more or less open during the first 2 years of life, enough to be able to remodel the lost shape.
The treatment has an average duration of 4 months. It is advisable to treat plagiocephaly as early as possible.
With more than 35 years of experience, Dr. Pinyot’s medical equipment Dr. Pinyot has treated more than 4,000 cases of cranial malformations. cranial malformations of cranial malformations, do not hesitate to contact our centers .
Learn more at more about treatment for plagiocephaly (flat head syndrome) .
The following link, we present information on how to assessing if your baby has plagiocephaly plagiocephaly, or other cranial malformation.