DOC Band® treatment
DOC Band® is the first active orthopedic cranial band available world-wide (1986). The dynamic head band concept is based upon the application of pressure in the relevant places. The DOC Band® was the first to receive approval by the American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for cranial orthoses in 1998. In 2005 the FDA first approved the use of DOC Band® for post-surgical cases (craniostenosis).
- 22 medical centres all over Europe and the United States.
- More than 100.000 cases de plagiocephaly and others already treated. Applied in more than 600 post-surgery cases.
- No negative short- or long-term side-effects of any kind have been observed.
The DOC Band® is formed from a lightweight anti-allegic plastic material perfectly tolerated by infants. To be used continuously and only removed at bathtime and for neck exercises.
Orthopedic treatment with DOC Band® is applicable in the following conditions:
- Positional plagiocephaly (front and rear)
- Positional brachycephaly
- Positional scaphocephaly
- Mixed craniofacial positional deformities
- Post-surgical treatment of classic craniosynostosis
- Post-surgical treatment of early endoscopic surgery in craniosynostosis
- Protection and remoulding in cases of parietal bone defects
Advantages of orthopedic helmet DOC Band®
The main advantages of the DOC Band® treatment of plagiocephaly with respect to passive bands are:
- Average treatment period 4 months (range 5 weeks to 6 months). In children aged 3-6 months treatment would normally be 5 to 12 weeks.
- Average use of second band is 12.5%, whereas passive band systems typically need two to three band changes and two to three times the treatment period compared to the DOC Band®.
- Expected improvement with DOC Band® at 6.9 months of age are 60% for cranial vault, 47% for the skull base and 42% facial (data 1998, improved results since).
- Skin problems occur in less than 5% of cases.
- The idea of rounding off the head misses the point. DOC Band® has been shown to scientifically respect the natural shape of the head, and in no way interferes with natural growth. Results are maintained over time and no functional side-effects have been reported.
- DOC Band® is comfortable and lightweight meaning that patients adapt to it from day one.
- DOC Band® allows the treatment of children of up to two years of age.
- The making of a personally customised DOC Band® is based on the experience gained from the treatment of more than 100.000 cases over the last 25 years.
- Cranial Technologies Inc. does not manufacture just a single type of band. Each band is made to measure for each unique patient.
- Cranial Technologies Inc. is a company dedicated only to the manufacture of cranial orthoses and the treatment of cranial deformities.
- Every band and every patient benefits from Cranial Technologies Inc. continued research and innovation.
- All staff have a strong medical background. Before they are allowed to treat patients, they are required to spend four weeks in intense training. Clinicians also attend twice-yearly continuing education at our Arizona headquarters. Our clinicians must pass a written and practical test before independently treating infants. This ensures that every child receives the same level of care and the same outcome.
- The idea can be copied but not the results. The european DOC band® clinics employ highly qualified staff. Feel free to call our centre to save time and trips. Experience, competence and full dedication are the best recommendation.
All our patients treated at our center have photographic records, as well as the positive casts. At our Barcelona clinic we are carrying out a prospective neurological evolution study of patients by a qualified team of pediatric psychology.
Discussions and publications on treatment with passive bands
In the United States as well as in Europe there have been forum discussions as to the effectiveness of active and passive bands. The active (or dynamic) band concept is well-defined in the articles published by Cranial Technologies Inc. (see Home, click on 1994 and 1998) and can be simply considered a localised action on the deformed part of the head, resulting in a natural remoulding.
Practically the only articles published in international scientific reviews on the results of orthopedic treatment of plagiocephaly correpond to prospective studies carried out with DOC Band®. There are no results for other band types and even less so for passive or local band types.
Before deciding how to treat your child, know well the benefits of each of the options that are offered. Ask for references. Ask for results book. Ask for official approval, see PTAs children suffering from plagiocephaly. The health of our babies must be skilled and qualified hands.